Network architecture becomes complex every passing day. Internal networks and the external networks fuse seamlessly to suit the ways of working in the modern-day world.
Security risk is classified as a vulnerability if it is recognized that as a result of its presence an attack can be made. Security risk, combined with one or more well-known examples of workable and fully completed attacks, is classified as an exploit.
The safety of the firewalls is no more assured as internal networks access the external ones and privileged users from the outside have penetrated into the firewall itself.Network Penetration Testing involves rigorous testing of the controls, frameworks and processes designed for the networks related to the system. It lays out procedures to penetrate into key networks of the system with an aim to identify security susceptibilities and mitigate them much before the attackers do from multiple entry points at different levels.
What does VAPT include?
Network Penetration Test:
- Detection of network and system level vulnerabilities
- Identification of incorrect configurations and settings
- Identify the vulnerability of the wireless network
- Fraudulent services
- Lack of strong passwords and the presence of weak protocols
Application Penetration Test:
- Identification of application level deficiencies
- Fake requests; the use of malicious scripts
- Violation of session management etc.
Physical Penetration Test:
- Breaking physical barriers
- Checking and breaking locks
- Malfunctions and sensor bypass; disabling CCTV cameras etc.
Device Penetration Testing (IoT):
- Detection of hardware and software deficiencies of devices
- Brute force weak passwords
- Identifying insecure protocols, APIs, and communication channels
- Configuration violation and more
In a nutshell, a competent Network Pen Test would start off by investigating for information leakages. Next, it undertakes the herculean task of scanning the multiple and ever increasing devices, which are also the entry points to the system. After identifying the susceptible devices, the testing procedures set out guidelines to tighten the safety procedures making defiance tough for the intruders. Alerts too, are integrated into the security procedures as a part of infringement management.